In my attempt to redo the guest room into a more functioning playroom, I had to ditch the original curtains for more playful, coordinating ones. If you’ve never seen this room before, it has french doors (with windows) that open to the living room. Perfect for a playroom…spy on the kids. Not so perfect for the guest room.
So, I started my search for curtains. That was not an easy task. I didn’t have a specific pattern in mind, but I did have colors. I wanted white background with a mostly turquoise pattern. The room wall color is a light grey with turquoise and pink as the accents in the room. (I’ll share pictures VERY soon…I want to have 2 more pictures hung and I have been fighting with my printer for 2 weeks to get them printed. Not happy about that.)
Anyway, room darkening curtains was also important, as they do need to provide privacy and block some light since the doors open up to the living room.
Some things I learned along the way: (1) curtains are expensive (ii) turquoise patterns are not popular and (c) trying to find my curtains was impossible.
So…I looked into making them. Normally this would involve fabric and a sewing machine. I am NOT a good seamstress, by any means…but these were not curtains that were going to be used a lot, so I wasn’t worried. However…fabric is expensive and I have no idea what I’m looking for when it comes to type. All I know is in “upholstery or drape” fabric…turquoise patterns are rare.
I did see several chevron prints though and thought that they looked fun and playful. However, I was hoping to have some pink in the curtains too.
This lead me to google DIY curtains…then DIY chevron curtains. And I hit jackpot. Boy, do I love me some google. Most of the tutorials out there were for painting curtains and I loved that idea. Easy to do, cheap, and exactly what I was looking for. Perfect!
These are the sites that I looked at and were helpful.
While they Snooze, Ashley Taylor Photography, and KFD Designs.
Anyway, here’s pictures of my curtains and the process.
Oooh….and I bought $28 curtains are Ikea. They are even room darkening and white.
Step 1: Tape Off (accidentally started painting prior to picture. lol)
This was definitely the most time consuming. I spent several days prior to the start of the project sketching what I wanted in regards to how many chevrons (peaks) and how many rows, how big the turquoise rows should be, the pink rows, and the gaps. Then I made a template using cardboard (that ended up being too small…but I made do). I used the template to tape the pattern with frog tape. Most of the tutorials I read used Blue Painter’s Tape. I didn’t know if it was because that’s what they had, or if it was important. I had Frog Tape…so I went with that.
Couple things about that…
1. Painter’s Tape can be found in 2” width. I assumed Frog Tape was as well…it is not. It’s only 1.41”, so all my measurements from the previous days were thrown out the window.
2. Can’t compare to Painter’s Tape, since I didn’t use it…but I did get some bleed in my paint. Maybe that’s why Painter’s Tape is used? I also read a tutorial about putting Modge Podge over the tape edges prior to painting to seal better. Maybe I should have tried that?
Step 2: Paint
I used a roller for the turquoise and a brush for the pink. The Blue tended to leave pretty crisp lines…I’m assuming because it was a a thinner and more uniform application. The pink bled through more often. However, because the blue was thinner, there are some “lighter” spots when it’s hung.
(don’t pay any attention to the blue dot on the white bottom. :( I was SOSOSOOS careful the whole time not to drip or mess up. Then as I “ziploc”d the bag with the roller in it (for future use)…the bag dripped. Gah! Oh well…it’s for the playroom.
Step 3: Wait 24 hours and rip the tape off to check out curtains.
Not too bad from far away, eh?
Apparently, it’s 24 hours til dry and 72 hours til cured and you can wash them…but no thanks. I don’t plan to wash them for awhile. I’m not risking it.
Step 4: Hang’ em up!
Pay no attention to the mess beyond the doors, pleaseandthankyou. :)
Also, sneak peak of the playroom.
Now…these curtains aren’t perfect…they look handmade. But I’m ok with that. For the most part they’ll be hung like the first picture, where the imperfections don’t really show.
Plus…I hemmed them with Heat ‘N Bond. Awesomeness!
So, in total…I spent
2 hours sketching.
4 hours taping and painting 2 panels
48 Drying time (24 hrs each panel)
30 minutes to hem.
$28 for curtains
$7 for tape. (I used at least a whole roll…I had 1/2 a roll, then had to buy another roll and have about 1/2 left)
$16 for paint (sample size and quart size. However, I have 1/2 the quart left…so I might have been able to get away with 2-3 of the sample size.)
$2 for hem tape.
Therefore…6.5 hours of my time and $53 for 2 curtain panels that were originally (before hemmed) 92” long. That’s pretty dang good, if you ask me. :D
Next up…Miss Scratch’s nightstand and the “finished” playroom.